June 1, 2013

Summer Job 1966

As an undergraduate at Ohio State, I worked during the summer months on the maintenance crew for the Westerville (Ohio) Board of Education.  Most often I was a painter, at one point even being put in charge of my own paint crew(!).  The photo below was cut out of the local weekly newspaper, the Westerville Public Opinion.  That's my mother's handwriting identifying me (top) and the publication date (bottom).  The photo shows Westerville (South) High biology teacher (and my former basketball coach), Dale Starr (left), and me (center) painting a goal post at the high school football stadium.  Luckily, there are no photos of our next job, which was to paint the rusting chain link fence around the field using long-nap rollers.  Both Dale and I went home at the end of each day caked with aluminum paint, thanks to a strong breeze that blew silvery mist all over us as we rolled our way around the field.

No comments:

Post a Comment